Thursday, October 13, 2011

Brain adventure

Oh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, friends.

I'm just going to skip past the whole - I suck at keeping a blog, it's been a year, blah blah blah - thing and tell you all what's going down in my medulla oblongata. Cool? Cool! Gen brain adventures!

SO. Just read this very interesting article about how women are slowly but surely going about ruling the world and dudes... are failing. Slightly. Which also means that there is this huge restructuring of how dating occurs in the world now. Depressing? Maybe. Will I become a cat/dog/various animal woman? Probably. BUT, I am not worried. Why? Cause I am freaking awesome! and I am good at bribery. All jokes aside, I know I will find someone to share the ups/downs/in-betweens with and I am in no rush to do so. Maybe I will have to lower my slightly high standards (Read my friend Karen's hilarious blog post of screening processes) and maybe end up marrying someone who is shorter than me or who only enjoys cheap beer.

As long as he makes me happy we have insightful conversations about life/faith/music/funny youtube videos and he's down for adventures, bike rides, improv rapping, computer chair dancing, and rolling down hills then hells yes. We are good to go.


How I spend my afternoons

For some of you wondering about the scratched out part it's because I have learned (and am still in the process of learning) that the only person that you can depend on for happiness is yourself... and maybe the pizza guy who gives you the perfect cheesy slice without you asking. Seriously though. YOU. In case you haven't realized, those love songs LIE. Yeah, it's nice to share a relationship with someone but if you depend solely on them and their behavior for happiness then you're screwed. There have been many a time when I have envisioned a lovely evening with a boy and then they can't come over/they're tired/they've been captured by zombies and then my evening is ruined. I end up wallowing in self pity and watching Modern Family.

And you know what? That's okay. It's all a part of the learning process because after the 300th time of this happening to me I thought "Hey, f- this. It's my evening, I'm going to do what I want to do." So, I have sushi with a friend, or I drink a glass of wine and watch an incredibly cheesy movie that no one else would even think of watching or I lie in my bed and listen to music. After a few times of this re-thinking the evening, I found myself enjoying this solo time and realizing that I need to cherish this because at some point, I will be sharing a lot of things, including a bed. Which is why when I had my queen bed in Toronto I pretty much did bed angels in the middle of it.

It's interesting to see how so obsessed society is with not being alone. I remember an article I read of this woman who enjoyed eating by herself and how so many waiters were miffed or how she would receive looks of pity. Even I felt that way when seeing people eating alone. I recall wanting to almost go over there and give them a hug because I thought they were lonely people. This stigma of being alone is odd and it's important to come to terms with how lovely alone time can be. You dig?

Excellent.

Now tell me what you think about this post and the article. I wanna have some glimpses into your brain too!

Peace :)


2 comments:

  1. looooooved. it definitely made me ponder about my own relationship and independence in general. it's definitely something i need to work on! it also made me think of this article:

    http://sexloveliberation.com/interdependence/

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genshine...I think its perfectly okay to be a little disappointed if zombies abducted your boy for science experiments and ruined your evening. You do after all like the guy (I'm assuming)and you're understandably bummed. That being said Modern Family usually produces the same feel good hormones as those of pleasant evenings.

    Also, there's nothing wrong with sitting alone at a restaurant. I went to Montreal for a weekend and sat in a restaurant by myself and got unlimited attention (and water) from the hot waiter who delighted me endlessly with his Frenchness. It was an experience a few people dare to pursue...which is a shame. Thanks for linking me my love! ;)

    And don't lower your standards. They are fine as they are. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone who makes you just a little happy. xoxox

    Karen

    ReplyDelete